The Do's + Don'ts of Facebook Ads

Social advertising is a powerful component of online advertising. More specifically, Facebook has a user base of 1.94 billion active monthly users worldwide, and with consumers spending over 50% of their digital time on mobile devices, it pays to advertise on a site that dominates mobile. Facebook also allows you to target your ads, learn more about your users, and has flexible pricing options... need we say more about why this is a good idea? 

The Do's + Don'ts of Facebook Ads  |  Hue & Tone Creative

DO use compelling imagery: When paired with a relevant image, people are 65% more likely to remember information. You’ll grab your viewer’s attention and help them remember your product… even after they’ve scrolled away from your ad!

Not sure what kind of image to use? Stock photos are a great option if you don’t have any original pictures on hand.

DON’T blow your budget: Low costs are one of the great things about advertising on social. Facebook allows you to spend as little as $5 a day, which means even small and new businesses can buy advertising without blowing their budget. We suggest starting off small – especially if you’ve never run a Facebook ad before. Spend a little and find out what works before you increase your daily budget.  

DO some testing: A/B testing (also called split testing) allows you to test the success of different versions of your ad. You play around with the headlines, graphics, and CTA’s to find out what will get the most clicks, likes, and highest ROI.

Tip: When A/B testing, be sure to only tweak one element of your ad at a time. If you create a completely different ad you won’t be able to pinpoint which ad element is having an impact on your ad performance.

DON’T forget about mobile viewers: Over 1 billion people visit Facebook via phones and mobile devices daily. Don’t ignore a huge segment of people by sticking solely to desktop designs. 

DO create a CTA: Develop a call-to-action that illustrates the purpose of your ad. What benefit does your product/service provide to your audience? Why do they need this? What is the value?

DON’T make it too text heavy: Too much text will make your ad look cluttered and confusing. If you’re using a graphic, keep the 20% rule in mind: 80% of the ad should be imagery and the remaining 20% should be your text. 

DO learn about your audience: Facebook allows you to narrow down and target specific audiences through: location, interests, behavior, demographics, and connections. Do some research on who visits your page and is interested in your product before you tailor your ads. 

DON’T confuse your audience: You only have a few seconds to capture your viewer’s attention. Make sure that your purpose, product, and information is clear and easy to find. One ad = one objective.

DO try a video: 43% of consumers would like to see more video ads from marketers in the future. Get ahead of the trend and promote a how-to, customer testimonial, or behind-the-scenes video.

DON’T forget to keep track: It’s crucial to track how your ads are performing. If you don’t measure the success of your ads, you won’t be able to tailor future ads, and you’re sure to waste money on viewers who don’t have any interest in your product or services. After you’ve tested out a few promotions, set detailed goals for each campaign (ex. reach, likes, conversion, shares, etc.) and monitor your results frequently.

Ready to create your ad, but not sure where to start? Read up on our 5 easy tips.

Social Media Marketing in Greensboro, NC

Looking to launch a new campaign? Get the most out of your investment by working with creative professionals. From email newsletters to Facebook and Instagram ads, Hue & Tone Creative is here to help your business stand out from the competition.